Super Mario Brothers were gonna make their way into this blog eventually! Boy am I glad it was today!
Day 20 of Artober is lullaby. I instantly thought of making a mobile for a crib. Most mobiles have adorable little creatures or puffy things. Not from me! Definitely have to geek it up where I can!
Mario was one of the first games I ever played. I remember my family all huddled around the super Nintendo taking turns and of course I was the worst at it since I was the youngest. Still never stopped me from trying!
Mario was first released on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in 1985. Mario is widely recognizable and has had dozens of games made using the title over the years.
Eventually my husband and I will adopt. When we do I have to be prepared to subliminally make them as big a nerd as I am. What better way then to start when they are in the crib!
Mario Mobile Materials:
- Various Acrylic paints
- 1×4 plank of wood
- Embroidery hoop
- Embroidery Thread
- Brass Ring For Macrame
- Eye Bolts for Jewelry
Making the Mario Mobile Dangly Bits:
Make 2 of everything! I traced out 4 shapes on 1×4 scrap wood pieces that I had. A star, a mushroom, an egg shape, and an oval.
Once I cut out the main shape I then traced it onto another piece of wood. This way I could get try and make it identical to the first one.
After the 8 shapes were cut I started painting. They didn’t need much sanding. Some I hit the edges with so I could smooth them out. I painted carefully to get the details where I wanted them. On the Ovals I made Mario and Luigi’s hat. I made sure to paint each side.
Once they were dry I screwed in the eye hooks.
I took my string and looped it around about 3 times ending it with a quick and easy knot. Making sure to leave plenty room at the top and bottom. The length of the string was made to stretch 12 inches. Same thing was done directly across from it.
Once I had those two the same length I could hang it up and do the rest a lot more easier than measuring each length of string.
After the eight sections were tied on with plenty of string, I started hanging the symbols. I would tie them on and then cut the excess string afterwards when I was happy with the placement.
There ya go! Mario Mobile to Marvel at!
Definitely not the best painter but I was pretty pleased with how this turned out!
If you’re into the old school video games I also made the Chaos Emeralds from Sonic!
As always see the making of this mobile on Tiktok